Community and voluntary-controlled schools use the above term dates but will also add 5 INSET days and 6 Occasional days where children don't need to go to school.
Academies, voluntary-aided, foundation and free schools aren't required to follow the above term dates.
We set term dates to make sure children get the most out of their time at school. We set them based on 7 principles.
1. School and teacher representatives set an annual window of 196 days. Schools must divide the days between:
- 190 days pupil attendance
- 5 professional development days
- 1 day for occasional holiday
2. When 2 weeks are set they should include 3 weekends.
3. School terms should be in full weeks Monday to Friday. If this isn't possible, there should be at least 2 working days.
4. All half-terms must be full weeks.
5. The Christmas break should contain 2 full weeks where possible.
6. Holidays should be as close to neighbouring counties as possible.
7. The year 7 taster day for new secondary school pupils must be the second Thursday in July.